Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Right Path, part 1


"Your life takes you directions you don't expect." So says Laura Stauffer, owner of Green Circle Organics at Lancaster's Central Market.

Life seemed to prepare Laura for her role as a Lancaster pioneer in the marketing of organic produce. In late 2002, a friend of a friend told her that a business at the market was coming up for sale. Laura, who then worked at Rhubarb's Market, had already done organic farming in upstate New York.

"I really wanted to be in business for myself and it fit in with my past experiences and my interests" she explains. So Laura bought the business, becoming one of the 1st retailers of organic produce in Lancaster County. Later when Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative formed, Green Circle Organics became their 1st retail account in the county.

This March 9th Green Circle will celebrate it's 8 year anniversary!

I asked Laura what advice she would give to others wanting to start a local business.

Here's what she advises:

" It definitely had it's challenges, but if you're on the right path things just kind of happen. Take that leap. For me, at the time, getting a small business loan and doing things on my own was a big deal ! Now I'm so glad I did it! I say take that risk. As long as it's a calculated risk, I think 'Why not?'

If you're doing something good for the community and you believe in what you're doing and you treat people well and you stand behind your product, it'll work."


Next: Some of Laura's hopes for future

1 comment: